Match Report

An absolutely dreadful display from Queens in today`s final league game of the season has put their chances of maintaining their Championship status on a knife edge after they were comfortably beaten by visitors Partick who ensured they own survival with their easy victory. In a game that Queens simply had to win, unfortunately despite rallying calls from management and players, Queens failed to rise to the occasion and will now face the uncertainty of the relegation play-offs.

Match photo gallery here.

Following defeat at Ross County last time out, Gary Naysmith - in what turned out to be his last selection as Queens boss - made 3 changes with Jack Leighfield returning in goal, Nicky Low starting ahead of Iain Wilson, and Stephen Dobbie took his place in the starting line-up after missing the last 3 games.

In front of Palmerston`s biggest crowd for sometime - 3916 - boosted by a fantastic traveling support which was in excess of 1500 - it was the away side who began in the ascendancy and Jack Leighfield was involved in the opening exchanges dealing with a high ball whilst under pressure and sustaining a slight injury in the process which hampered his movement for a short period, which thankfully he was able to shrug off as the game progressed.
After dominating the opening period, it came as no surprise to see Thistle take the lead, Leighfield did well to keep out a close range effort from Mansell, but the Queens `keeper could do nothing to prevent Mansell from blasting the follow up high into the roof of the net and send the traveling support into raptures.
Even at that early stage - 14 minutes - it was clear that Thistle were up for the challenge, and already there was a gulf between the teams as Thistle continued to pose plenty of problems whereas Queens laboured and struggled to find any cohesion to their game with many of their moves breaking down.
It took 25 minutes for us to create anything resembling an opportunity when a cross from the left was met by the head of Lyndon Dykes who could only send his close range header wide of the far post, and as we enjoyed our best spell of the half, Jordan Marshall broke into the penalty box on the left but could only smash his shot into the side netting.
Partick soon regained control, and prompted by both Bannigan, and Spittal they had the upper hand in midfield and a minute before the interval the away support were celebrating again when Mercer`s clearance hit off McDonald and flew beyond Leighfield to put the visitors in a commanding position.As the first half ended with Thistle well in control, plenty among the home support were already searching for news from elsewhere in the hope of finding something that would quell the growing frustration, whilst the away fans were basking in the knowledge that barring a total disaster, they would be watching Championship football at Firhill again next season.For Queens it was yet another first half without scoring, and a 15th league game without a clean sheet.
Queens made a change at the break with Darren Brownlie replacing the ineffective Nicky Low, who still looked well off the pace following his recent lengthy spell out injured, the change also saw Queens switch to playing 3 at the back.
After winning a couple of corners early in the half, it seemed as though Queens had finally grasped the severity of their plight and that a fightback was about to start, but sadly that proved to be a false dawn as Partick quickly assumed control of the contest. With the majority of Queens forward play mostly involving long balls looking for flick ons,in complete contrast Thistle`s build up play was precise and inventive and a header from Gordon didn`t miss the target by very much. Just past the hour mark a stunning strike from Spittal crashed against the bar as the away team continued to look for more goals.
Queens made a further change on 63 minutes when Iain Wilson replaced Andy Stirling, and straight away there was more energy about the team and our best chance of the game saw a close range header from Dykes kept out by a fine reflex stop from `keeper Sneddon. A goal then might have yielded something of a surge from Queens but as it was with 18 minutes to go Thistle sealed their win when stand out player Bannigan drove the ball home from the spot after a foul by Barry Maguire on McDonald in the penalty area was deemed to be illegal by referee Dallas. Maguire was booked for his challenge and was followed minutes later by Mikey Doyle as Queens frustration grew.
Our final change saw Connor Murray replace Stephen Dobbie who sadly for Queens was clearly short of match fitness and as such hardly featured in the contest. Well beaten at this stage, Queens were now desperate to hear good news from Ayr, but unfortunately none was forthcoming and the reality of taking part in the end of season relegation play-offs was gradually starting to sink in.
On a day when a win - that would have been only a 6th league win at home - would have guaranteed Championship safety Queens failed miserably and it came as no real surprise to learn that manager Gary Naysmith had been relieved of his duties following such a disappointing display, and on top of this really poor performance - possibly the worst of the season, 2 wins from the last 15 league games certainly didn`t help his cause.

  • Leighfield

  • Mercer

  • Doyle

  • Maguire

  • Marshall

  • Stirling

  • Jacobs

  • Low

  • Todd

  • Dykes

  • Dobbie


  • Mehmet

  • Brownlie

  • Fordyce

  • Wilson

  • Aird

  • Murray

  • McGrath

Sorry, no highlights are available for this fixture yet.
Check out more videos on our Youtbue Channel
Sorry, no podcasts available for this fixture yet.

Check out more podcasts on our SoundCloud page
50-50 Draw Winner
Saturday's 50/50 winner was Alan King from Dumfries, his ticket 3745 winning the prize of £580. ...

Read More ...
Queens Face Relegation As Boss Is Axed
An absolutely dreadful display from Queens in today`s final league game of the season has put their chances of maintaining their Championship status on a knife edge after they were comfortably beat ...

Read More ...
Match Day v Partick Thistle
The final scheduled fixtures for 2018/19 season are upon us and we round them off with a home game against Partick Thistle.  Its an important game for both sides as we aim to keep our place in th ...

Read More ...
In just 24 hours time we kick off our biggest game in over a decade when we take on Partick Thistle at Palmerston in our final scheduled league game of the 2018/19 campaign.  It is an imp ...

Read More ...
Partick Thistle Match Preview
As the 2018/19 season comes to an end it all comes down to the last game of the season for both ourselves and Partick Thistle on Saturday as we face a battle for Championship survival.   A win fo ...

Read More ...
Message From The Captain
There is no doubt that this has been a frustrating season for us and due to a disappointing few months we find ourselves in a battle for survival.  Not long ago we were challenging for a top four ...

Read More ...
Message From The Manager
In such a tight league I always knew that it was going to go down to the wire and so it’s proved and we now face one last Cup Final against Partick Thistle on Saturday. The support you have g ...

Read More ...
Away Terracing to Open For Partick Thistle
Following further discussions today and impressive advance sales from Partick Thistle who have sold over 500 tickets already, it has been confirmed that the Terregles Street Terracing will be opened f ...

Read More ...
For Real Time Updates Go To Our Updates Page