Match Report

Following Saturdays 4-0 defeat at the hands of Greenock Morton, Alan Johnston made three changes to his team. Gary Oliver, Lewis Kidd and Michael Ledger came into the side at the expense of Jack Hamilton, Scott Mercer and Michael Paton, who all made do with places on the bench. The Doonhamers were still without Connor Murray, Abdul Osman and David Devine, none of which were in the matchday squad.

Partick Thistle?s starting 11 included Darren Brownlie, who scored the only goal as Queens won 1-0 in the sides last meeting at Firhill.

Click here for the match photo gallery.

Neither team had much joy in the opening ten minutes. Queens were knocking the ball about nicely, while Thistle were playing slightly more direct.

It took ten minutes for the first shot of the game, when Stephen Dobbie saw his effort from a tight-angle caught by Scott Fox.

Dobbie curls an effort towards goal

The dangerous duo of Brian Graham and Zak Rudden both got behind the Queens defence, but were offside on each occasion.

Oliver forced Fox into a smart save at his near post after 14 minutes, with the resulting Queens corner amounting to a Darren Lyon shot that flew over the bar.

The home side began to dictate proceedings, although they struggled to penetrate a disciplined Queens back line. Despite looking comfortable defensively, the Doonhamers were lacking any threat at the other end of the pitch.

Kevin Holt tried his luck on the counter after 38 minutes, but Scott Fox done well to keep a hold of his drilled effort.

Lyon got on the end of a deflected Dobbie cross on the stroke of half-time, but his chipped shot was cleared by Lewis Mayo on the line.

Lyon chips Fox

A forgettable first-half drew to a close not long after, with the two sides going in level at the break.

HT: Thistle 0-0 QoS

An astute defensive performance by the South kept the scores level after the first 45, although more could have been offered going forward.

The second period began the way the first period ended. The Jags seeing most of the ball without doing much in the final third.

Oliver had the first shot of the second-half; his effort from the corner of the box being parried away by Fox.

Lyon tests Fox with a header

Reece Cole, who scored the winner for the Jags at Palmerston in December, replaced Jamie Barjonas after 59 minutes in the games first change.

Zak Rudden had the best chance of the game so far not long after, and he would have gave Thistle the lead had it not been for an exceptional recovery by Darren Lyon. Graham played the ex-Falkirk striker through on goal but the energetic Lyon was there to block his effort.

The home side made two changes soon after as Rudden and James Penrice were replaced by Shea Gordon and Dario Zanatta.

With 15 minutes left on the clock Brian Graham went close with a header from short range but Ross Stewart was there to block with his feet.

Darren Brownlie then went closer to scoring after 77 minutes when his header came off the inside of the post, before Stewart gratefully collected.

Up the other end Lyon had a shot saved after a Kidd cross, before the resulting corner saw a Kevin Holt header fly over the bar. Skipper Stephen Dobbie was then brought off after 80 minutes for Petravicius, before Thistle came within 12 yards of taking the lead.

A long ball over top was gathered by Graham who was brought down by Callum Semple in the area. Referee David Lowe pointed to the spot and Stuart Bannigan placed the ball down, but after consulting the linesman the penalty was ruled void and Graham was booked for simulation. The decision was met by a chorus of boos from the home support, but as they say, the referee?s decision is final, and the game went on!

With just three minutes of normal time left, Reece Cole struck the bar with a venomous free-kick from the corner of the box.

Substitute Petravicius would have been in in the final minute of normal time, but for a terrific challenge from Rangers-loanee Lewis Mayo.

Gordon then went within inches of gifting Thistle all three points, but his shot from a Graham knock down went narrowly wide.

FT: Partick Thistle 0-0 QoS

A boring 70 minutes came into life in the final 20 as Thistle saw a penalty awarded before the decision was reversed, Cole hit the bar and Gordon went narrowly wide.

A special mention to the 190 strong supporters who stayed behind to thank the players after a hard fought performance.

Super fans celebrate the penalty reversal

It?s East End Park on Saturday for the Doonhamers who will look to build on the point gained tonight. See you there!

  • Stewart

  • Ledger

  • Kilday

  • Semple

  • Holt

  • Pybus

  • Wilson

  • Lyon

  • Kidd

  • Dobbie


  • Oliver


  • Leighfield

  • Mercer

  • Hamilton

  • Petravicius


  • Irving

  • Gourlay

  • Paton

Sorry, no podcasts available for this fixture yet.

Check out more podcasts on our SoundCloud page
Point-a-Piece at Firhill
Following Saturdays 4-0 defeat at the hands of Greenock Morton, Alan Johnston made three changes to his team. Gary Oliver, Lewis Kidd and Michael Ledger came into the side at the expense of Jack Hamil ...

Read More ...
Match Day Information v Partick Thistle
We head to Glasgow this evening to face Partick Thistle in the Championship. With the two sides struggling at the bottom of the table it’s a crucial game for both teams. On our last visit to ...

Read More ...
For Real Time Updates Go To Our Updates Page