Match Report

History was made when we played our first ever league game against Peterhead and a good performance saw us pick up our first three league points with a comfortable 4 – 1 victory.

Reverting to a 4-4-2 formation, Manager Wullie Gibson made two changes to the side that started the previous game against Airdrie. Rico Quitongo and Harry Cochrane made way for Josh Todd and Kieran McKechnie. Rico and Harry were notably joined on the bench by Lee Connelly who returned from suspension and Calvin McGrory back earlier than expected following an ankle injury.

Queens finished strongly against the Diamonds but made a slow and shaky start against Jim McInally`s side and found themselves a goal down within two minutes. They failed to cut out a ball from Ryan Dow on the right and Max Gillies who had made the run was on hand to slot the ball past Max Currie.

It was a wake-up call for Queens and as McKechnie set up Ruari Paton the frontman`s effort was deflected for a corner. The home side had a few chances to clear but Connor Murray whipped it back in only for Jack Newman to make an easy catch.

The hosts were still on the attack and a powerful right foot shot from 20 yards by Robbie Scullion forced Currie into making a save 10 minutes in. From then Queens started to take a grip of the game and Josh Todd made a great delivery from the left only for Newman turn Gavin Reilly`s net bound header onto the bar. Murray looked up for the game but his low drive from the same distance as Scullion`s effort lacked power and ended up wide of the upright.

Midway through the half Reilly played the ball across goal only for it to be cleared at the far post as far as Euan East whose attempt knocked Jack Brown off his feet. The ball continued to bounce around and Queens continued to push for the equaliser, but the keeper eventually saved.

They did draw level with 11 minutes of the first half remaining, Murray catching out everyone with a short free kick into the path of Todd, who in turn hit the ball as sweet as you like into the net from 20 yards via the inside of the post.

And two minutes before the break Queens were in front when Murray collected the ball 25 yards from goal, took a touch and turned before firing a right foot shot into the net.

HALF TIME: Peterhead 1 Queens 2

Queens were dealt a blow just four minutes into the second half when Iain Wilson picked up what looked like a bad ankle injury and had to be carried off the park, eventually leaving the ground on crutches. However, Wilson`s pain was McGrory`s gain as he came off the bench to make a return from his own ankle injury.

As Queens readjusted to the change, Peterhead made a break away and with Jack Brown through on his own, he went to round Currie, but the stopper bravely dived at his feet to make a great challenge.

In control of the game, Murray crossed for Reilly, but he was underneath the ball as it dropped, and his header was way too high to cause a danger. On the hour mark Murray hit a powerful drive that the keeper had to turn out for corner and from the resulting set-piece McKechnie tried to make his way along the box, but his effort was blocked.

They did find the net again, just three minutes later, this time it was Reilly who did the spade work and as he crossed into the box Paton was on hand to fire the ball high into the net to make it three.

Playing with confidence Queens passed the ball well and Connelly who had come on for McKechnie played a low ball into the box only for Paton`s shot to be blocked. From the move Ola Adeyemo made a break, he looked offside, but the flag stayed down, and Stuart Morrison made the challenge to stop the attack.

It was a rare venture towards the Queens goal and in the final quarter of the game the visitors had further chances to extend their lead. Paton did well to hold off a strong challenge and looked to return the favour for Reilly, but it was too much for his team-mate to do and he hit the side netting.

In the closing stages Murray played a free kick into Paton at the edge of the box but his right foot shot was saved. Before, in injury time, Murray was stopped in his tracks by Gillies and with the final kick of the ball, he grabbed his second and Queens fourth with a well-placed free kick to round off a much deserved first league win of the campaign.

FULL TIME: Peterhead 1 Queens 4

  • Currie

  • McKechnie


  • Morrison


  • McKay

  • East

  • McKechnie


  • Wilson


  • Todd

  • Murray

  • Paton

  • Reilly



Additional Subs : 6: Cochrane, 21: McMahon
Sorry, no highlights are available for this fixture yet.
Check out more videos on our Youtbue Channel
Sorry, no podcasts available for this fixture yet.

Check out more podcasts on our SoundCloud page
Away day joy brings first league win
History was made when we played our first ever league game against Peterhead and a good performance saw us pick up our first three league points with a comfortable 4 – 1 victory. Reverting to a 4- ...

Read More ...
Match Photo Gallery
Click this news item and then this text to view the match photo gallery. ...

Read More ...
Match Preview v Peterhead (A) - 20th Aug 22
A bit of history will be made tomorrow when we face Peterhead for the first time in a league match. We have only played them three times in competitive games and a fun fact from our photographer Co ...

Read More ...
Supporter Information for Peterhead Away
Peterhead have confirmed to us that they do not operate online ticketing at Balmoor Stadium. Nor are there any direct entry cash turnstiles. Instead, they have a ticket office at the ground which open ...

Read More ...
For Real Time Updates Go To Our Updates Page