Down Memory Lane with Tosher

With the cup-tie against Aberdeen fast approaching we`ve enlisted the help of Steve Tosh to join us on a trip down `Memory Lane`. Steve of course played with Aberdeen for two years and knows full well what it`s like to reach the latter stages of the Scottish Cup. Firstly with Gretna when they faced Hearts in 2006 and lost out in a penalty `shoot-out` in extra-time. And again with Queens against Rangers!  So that`s twice now he had to suffer the anguish of failing at the final hurdle. He now takes the opportunity to reflect back in time and gives his own personal views as we relate that great cup run again`

In the first round we had a long journey north to Peterhead but romped home comfortably 5-0. Sean O`Connor and Stephen Dobbie netted two apiece with Paul Burns also on the scoresheet.
Attendance 695.

Said `Tosher, "It was a bitterly cold day but we `did the business` and went `nap` into the bargain".

Next up were Junior side Linlithgow Rose at Palmerston.
They brought with them an impressive following of just over 1000 but Queens were always well on top and we won 4-0.

On target were Dobbie and O`Connor again with Jim Thomson and Tosh himself also on the scoresheet.
Attendance 3062.

Added `Tosher` himself, "Prior to the match I spoke to the press. I just felt the Juniors had their own cup competition and should`t be in the Scottish Cup itself. I got a few `pelters` but it was just how I felt at the time."

Greenock was our next `port of call`. There was a feeling of confidence in the camp as we`d beaten Morton just two weeks earlier. The first half was goal-less but within a minute of the second period Sean O`Connor headed home the opener. There were over 700 Queens fans cheering us on and they were rewarded in the closing minute when substitute John Stewart slotted home number two with clinical precision.
Attendance 3506.

Said `Tosher on this one, "Both goals came just at the right time and when the `wee man` netted it was game, set and match. The big travelling support was like a 12th man that day."

Dundee at Palmerston was our next hurdle and it was to turn out somewhat of a historical afternoon. The gate was 6278 with the East Stand bursting to capacity with 2200 vociforous Dundonians in full cry. Queens open the scoring in 52 minutes through Stephen Dobbie but the second from Ryan McCann in the dying minutes will never be forgotten.

But we`ll let Steve Tosh describe it himself! "Dundee were pushing forward and everyone including the Dundee keeper were up in our half. "The ball then broke out to Ryan who looked up, saw an empty goal and blasted it goalwards. It was wind-assisted, it took three bounces and finished in the back of the net. "It was later measured at 84 yards--real `Roy of the Rovers` stuff."

We were now in the semi-final of the Scottish Cup--a feat we`d only managed once before. But that was against Rangers back in 1949.
Over 80 coaches and a special train headed for Glasgow all bedecked in QOS colours.


Steve Tosh himself opened the scoring but Aberdeen equalised. But little did we know what that second half would bring--5 goals in 12 magical minutes!
In the 48th minute Paul Burns was on target--Aberdeen equalised again! 52 minutes big Sean O`Connor hit the net but yet again the `Dons` pulled back to level.
However on the hour mark John Stewart rattled home what proved to be the winner--and how our fans celebrated.
The crowd that day was 24,008 with 10,000 of them QOS fans.

Said `Tosher` afterwards, "It was like David and Goliath all over again! Even Chairman David Rae was out there on the park punching the air in a joyous salute. The goal I scored that day will live me me forever. We were under severe pressure towards the end but held out! Our fans were brilliant and I know what it felt for them.

Steve Tosh nets the opener against Aberdeen

The actual build-up to the final was immence! Dumfries itself was beseiged by journalists and cameramen all wanting `in on the action`.  Come the big day itself, the final of the Scottish Cup, and the stage was set for a memorable battle. But Dumfries itself was left a `ghost town.
The official attendance was 48,821 with 15,000 Queens` fans all in good voice.

Prior to kick-off a minutes silence was observed for Celtic `legend` Tommy Burns who`d died a few days earlier. Rangers commanded the first half and Kris Boyd netted in 33 minutes. The Ibrox men then made it 2-0 when Beasley scored a second and things weren`t looking good. But it all changed after the interval! We came out fighting and Stevie Tosh prodded the ball home to reduce the leeway. And just three minutes later our skipper Jim Thomson `rose like a salmon` to head home a great equaliser. So it was now `game on`. Both sides had chances to clinch it but it was that man Boyd again who headed home the winner on the 72 minute mark.

`Tosher` scores in the final against Rangers

It was a sporting contest throughout and both sets of fans applauded the opposition as they climbed the Hampden stairway to collect their medals.
Our team that day was: MacDonald, McCann, Harris, MacFarlane, Aitken, Thomson, McQuilken, Tosh, O`Connor, Dobbie and Burns. Subs Grindlay, Stewart, O`Neill, Paton and Robertson.
Afterwards it was back down home to the Cairndale to celebrate followed by a `Welcome Home` function the following morning in DG One.
Then it was on to Palmerston on an open-top bus to face the fans and what a rapturous reception it was.

But we`ll let Steve have the last word! And he says, " It was a magical time which I`ll always remember with pride. To score in both the semi-final and the final itself was extra special. On his goal in the final he joked, "It was certainly something out of the ordinary! I hadn`t much time to think about it but prodded it home with a part of my anatomy I don`t normally use for that. But they all count! And he summed it up with just one word--marvellous! I was proud to have been part of it all.

Bill Goldie

Next Match

1st Round
New Broomfield
Sat 27th Jul 2024 @ 3:00 PM